“Dead” Grandfather Comes Back to Life Moments Before Family Set Fire to Him on a Funeral Pyre in India After Their Chanting Wakes Him From a Deep Sleep

“Dead” Grandfather Comes Back to Life Moments Before Family Set Fire to Him on a Funeral Pyre in India After Their Chanting Wakes Him From a Deep Sleep

Every now and then, there are creepy stories of people who were believed to be dead suddenly coming back to life, usually in an ambulance or a morgue. But for one grandfather in India, it could have been a lot worse than just being shoved in a morgue — he had been placed on a funeral pyre and his body was about to be burned, until he thankfully woke up, just in time.

deepak singh

Deepak Singh, 72, collapsed at his home in the city of Bhilwada in India’s north-western state of Rajasthan in front of his horrified relatives after he went to feed his cows.

Soon after his family received confirmation that he was dead they prepared his burial pyre and began a traditional chant which caused the O.A.P to stir, then wake up.

His doting grandson, Banda Nalwa, 26, explained how the family believed he had died earlier that day.

He said: ‘He seemed fine when he woke up in the morning and said he was off to do his chores.

‘But as he started walking over to where the cows are he suddenly fell to the ground. I rushed over and couldn’t see any signs of life. I couldn’t feel a pulse and his heart seemed to have stopped.

‘I called the rest of the family and they agreed. We thought he was dead.’

A local doctor was called to the house and he too confirmed Singh was dead. In accordance with the Hindu religion, the family began preparing the pyre which dates back thousands of years.

After laying him out on the pieces of wood and cloth, Singh’s relatives gathered around him and began their death wail, the customary practice of saying farewell to a loved one.

Nalwa added: ‘As the volume of the wailing increased I suddenly saw my grandfather’s body move. At first I thought it was my imagination, but then he opened his eyes and sat up.’

Realising their mistake, Nalwa and his uncle Gulshan, 56, quickly helped the pensioner off the pyre.

Nalwa said: ‘Thank God we didn’t set the pyre alight as it seems he had just fainted. We were very lucky.

That could have been a very bad day indeed — first he fainted, and then he would have been burned alive. This doctor that declared him dead, though, might want to think about going into another line of work.

Leave a Comment

Share this!

Enjoy reading? Share it with your friends!

Send this to a friend