Not Lovin’ It: Mother is Horrified When Her Six-Year-Old Daughter Found a Human Nail in Her McDonald’s Burger

Not Lovin’ It: Mother is Horrified When Her Six-Year-Old Daughter Found a Human Nail in Her McDonald’s Burger

For most parents, fast food is an easy choice: it’s cheap, it’s quick, and it’s family-friendly. But one mother is swearing to never eat at McDonald’s again after her six-year-old daughter found a human fingernail in her hamburger.

burger

A mother-of-two was left disgusted after her six-year-old daughter found a human nail in her McDonald’s burger.

Lyn Richie, 38, had taken Ellyn, husband George, 41, and stepdaughter Katy, 12, to the fast food restaurant on Riverside Park East, Coleraine, Londonderry, for a family treat.

But their meal was ruined when Ellyn lifted the bun off her Big Mac and spotted the nail sitting on top of the burger patty.

Ms Richie, from Coleraine, reported the nail to a member of staff who confirmed it was human before offering her a refund for the family’s £16.77 order.

Child minder Ms Richie said: ‘My six-year-old daughter was eating her Big Mac when she pointed to a foreign object sandwiched between the burgers.

‘She doesn’t like the bread, so luckily, she pulled the burger apart before she took a bite. She said, “mummy, what’s that?” with a confused look on her face.

‘At first, I thought it was an onion or a false nail, but was horrified when staff confirmed it was human.

‘I don’t think Ellyn really understood what was going on at the time; she was just gutted about the burger being taken away.

‘But once she knew the origin of the nail, she told me she felt physically sick just thinking about it.’

Ms Richie has now lodged an official complaint with McDonald’s and the environmental health department at Coleraine Borough Council, who are conducting a joint investigation into the incident.

‘It just sickens me – it seriously makes you questions their hygiene practices,’ she said. ‘Because I’m a child minder, I always take the kids I care for to McDonald’s for a treat.

‘But now I just can’t trust them, which is a shame, because the kids loved it. We definitely will not be returning back to McDonald’s ever again.’

She’s certainly not alone in feeling disgusted, and who can blame her for never wanting to go back again? In all likelihood, it was probably just some kind of mistake, but it casts some serious doubt on how seriously that restaurant takes their cleanliness and hygiene standards.

Leave a Comment

Share this!

Enjoy reading? Share it with your friends!

Send this to a friend