NC Senate Adds Common Sense Abortion Restrictions To Sharia Law Bill
When I first saw this article at both WRAL and the Raleigh News and Observer, I was really hoping that there would be a Memeorandum thread, with a whole bunch of liberals freaking out over what are common sense restrictions. I got the first, but not the second. From the N&O
A bill restricting abortions that popped up in the state Senate without public notice Tuesday evening and received swift approval would force clinics to meet expensive license requirements and make it more difficult for doctors to perform the procedures.
Hmm, license requirements for what are medical procedures? Scary!
Under the bill, which was tacked onto another measure dealing with Islamic law, abortion clinics would have to meet license standards similar to those of ambulatory surgical centers. According to legislative staff, only one clinic in the state currently meets that standard. The state’s four Planned Parenthood clinics don’t meet it. The bill would also require doctors to be present when women take drugs that induce abortions.
One would think that the liberal abortionistas would want to make sure women are protected while having a medical procedure. Just the tone of the N&O story tells me that’s not the case.
Democrats said Republican arguments about safety were a sham, and the real incentive is to restrict abortions.
“This is really about limiting women’s rights,” said Sen. Angela Bryant, a Rocky Mount Democrat.
Over half the article is about Democrat whining over the proposed legislation and being “outraged”, which requires one more vote in the Senate before heading to the House. But, what does it all do? To the WRAL article, which lists a few of the provisions
- CONSCIENCE PROTECTION: Any health care provider, not just doctors and nurses, would be allowed to opt out of providing abortion-related services.
- ABORTION FUNDING LIMITS: The bill would prohibit health plans offered on the federal health care exchanges from offering abortion coverage. It would also prohibit state funds from being spent for abortions, except to save the life of the mother or in cases of rape or incest. (and no state or county taxpayer funded abortions)
- SEX-SELECTIVE ABORTIONS: The measure prohibits doctors from performing an abortion if they know the woman seeking it is doing so because of the gender of the baby.
- DOCTORS: Doctors would be required to remain in the room for the entire abortion procedure, whether surgical or medical / chemical.
- TRANSFER AGREEMENTS: Abortion clinics would be required to have “transfer agreements” with local hospitals.
Added to this is the licensing provision previously mentioned. Do any of those provisions actually restrict abortion on demand? Or do they simply make sure that the procedures are safer and that women are protected? As one of the comments at WRAL notes “There should not be any objections to these practical requirements… unless the health and safety of the mother is not really important.” The N&O commenters, mostly far lefties, barely mention the abortion issues, and instead focus on the main idea of the bill, noting that foreign laws, like Sharia law, will not be applied in North Carolina.
The Raw Story, another good reliable moonbat site says the bill would force all but one infanticide, er, abortion clinic to close. First, why do liberals hate women so much that they do not want the clinics to be safe? 2nd, is anyone surprised that none of the states’ four Planned Parenthood offices would meet the licensing guidelines? Liberals want lemonade stands licensed, but not abortion clinics.
Buzzfeed has copies of the bills.
What we see here as that, except for a small minority of Democrats, such as Kirstin Powers, Democrats will not except any common sense solutions to abortion whatsoever. They yammer on about “common sense gun laws” and try and pass those, even though there are already lots and lots and lots of laws about guns, yet, allowing health care providers to refuse to perform an abortion? Heresy!
As a sidebar, an Ohio right to life group trolls the heck out of a few Ohio Democrats who voted for abortion restrictions.