Video: 1969–The Death of Modernism
In 1973, Patrick Moynihan said, “Most liberals had ended the 1960s rather ashamed of the beliefs they had held at the beginning of the decade.”
The 1960s began with a presidential election between conservative cold warrior Richard Nixon…and the surprisingly conservative cold warrior John F. Kennedy. In terms of the similarity between the two candidates, and the public they represented, this was a high point in national unity.
The assassination of JFK began a process that ultimately shattered that unity. During the course of the 1960s, Americans witnessed the split between the liberalism of FDR, Harry Truman, JFK and LBJ, and the rise of the punitive New Left that emerged in the wake of President Kennedy’s assassination.
As we explore in the latest edition of Silicon Graffiti, the alpha and the omega of those two forms of American liberalism came less than a month apart, in the summer of 1969:
Tune in for our take on:
- How Jackie Kennedy retroactively created Camelot, and the death of the New Frontier.
- We’ll look back at the “Helvetica World,” both in real life and at the movies.
- The end of New Deal-era optimism.
- The death of modern architecture, and the mansard-roofed canary in McDonald’s coalmine.
- The Malthusian doomsday pessimism that was a hallmark of Hollywood science fiction after 1969.
- The song remains the same.
- What does it all mean? Watch to find out!
And for almost 60 previous editions of Silicon Graffiti, or to watch a larger version of the above video, visit this section of Ed Driscoll.com and just keep scrolling.
FacebookTwitterEmail Close-quarters combat just got a little more deadly with the introduction of this gas-injection knife. It allows you to inject compressed gasses into whatever you stab, effectively blowing it...Read More
FacebookTwitterEmail Groups like the Red Cross don’t deserve your respect, your support, or your donations because they’re run by fascistic,
FacebookTwitterEmail Jilani is an unadulterated bigot and troll. He deleted his original tweet stating, “Say what u want about muslim
FacebookTwitterEmail A man in Paris thought it would be interesting to see what Jews in France go through just for