Donald Trump Releases Obamacare Repeal And Replace Plan
Interestingly, the plan includes neither a mandate nor shoots for single payer
(Fox News) After months of promising to repeal ObamaCare, but failing to spell out how — and what would replace it — Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump finally revealed some specifics Wednesday night, including doing away with the individual mandate that requires everyone to have health insurance, an apparent reversal of his previous support for the provision.
Trump also proposes that states take over management of Medicaid and provide incentives to eliminate fraud and waste.
The seven-point plan, posted on the GOP frontrunner’s website, slammed the Affordable Health Care Act, saying it has “tragically but predictably resulted in runaway costs, websites that don’t work, greater rationing of care, higher premiums, less competition and few choices.”
In explaining his plan to abolish the individual mandate, Trump said no one should be required to buy health insurance if they don’t want to. The current law requires everyone to have health insurance, or pay a penalty. That’s an apparent reversal from his “I like the mandate” comment last month during a CNN town hall.
Should citizens be forced to purchase health insurance? No. Many can afford to pay for health care without it. Some people want to take their chances. On the other hand, should health care providers have to provide service to those who cannot pay? There’s the rub, and was kinda the point when conservative think tanks were discussing the need (not advocating for, mind you) for a mandate.
Anyhow, here’s Trump’s plan, which, for all those who are thinking Trump is the next Hitler, Chavez, or Mussolini (interestingly, the Left never compares him to their friends Stalin or Mao), says Congress must do this when a President Donald Trump sends the plan to them. I’m only going to excerpt the beginning portion of each point, you’ll have to hit the link to see it all
- Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.
- Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines.
- Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system.
- Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate.
- Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals.
- Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best….
- Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America.
Now, I do have to wonder, is this what he really believes, considering his love of the mandate and socialized medicine, including single payer, per previous comments, or is he simply pandering? Some intrepid reporter should ask, as I’m pretty sure he won’t answer me on Twitter.
Trump goes on to note
Providing healthcare to illegal immigrants costs us some $11 billion annually. If we were to simply enforce the current immigration laws and restrict the unbridled granting of visas to this country, we could relieve healthcare cost pressures on state and local governments.
Let’s not forget the number of ERs closed in California and other states due to illegals using them as doctor’s offices.
To reduce the number of individuals needing access to programs like Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program we will need to install programs that grow the economy and bring capital and jobs back to America. The best social program has always been a job – and taking care of our economy will go a long way towards reducing our dependence on public health programs.
Well, not just a job, but a good paying job.
Anyhow, the plan, such as it is, is very much what Conservatives have been offering for years, especially in the era of Ocare. So, again, pandering, or real belief?
Even though my father, brother, uncles and grandfather were in the military, I seldom handled guns growing up. That’s because unlike many of the other people in my family, I’ve...Read More
Once again, Democrats are proving that they do not understand the free market nor the law of consequences A leading
Forbes Magazine will feature a report by the Hudson Institute’s Marie-Josee Kravis who points out the fallacy of tying a
It is interesting to see how people will twist and turn reality in order to support President Obama’s socialistic healthcare