20 Examples Of How The World Would Look If Big Government Worked
If you ran into people who insisted on trying to pound nails with a screwdriver no matter how many times they were shown a better way, wouldn’t you think there was something wrong with them? What if those people not only used a screwdriver, but demanded that everyone else use a screwdriver instead of a hammer, too? Worse yet, what if those people did this for decades on end?
Well, guess what? We have people like that in this country. They’re called liberals and the screwdriver they’re using to try to fix America’s problems is called big government. Despite the fact that we have decades of accumulated evidence proving that big government doesn’t work, liberals just won’t give up on it.
Now we may not be able to convince the hidebound Left that government doesn’t work, but there are a lot of other Americans with open minds. Maybe some of them can be reached by pointing out how life would be if big government actually worked as well as liberals seem to believe it does.
* FedEx and UPS would be out of business because there’d be no way they could compete with the ruthless efficiency, amazing speed, & dazzling customer service of the post office.
* Our southern and northern borders would be completely secure, the fence on the southern border would be done, and there wouldn’t be enough illegals in the United States to even merit a debate about amnesty.
* Social Security would be fully funded and every dime you contribute would be invested, ready to be withdrawn when the government needs to pay your benefits.
* Something as important as Medicare wouldn’t be a giant “Bernie Madoff style” Ponzi scheme that would merit fraud charges if a private citizen tried to create a similar project.
* When George W. Bush said, “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job,” people all across the country would have said, “Yeah, he’s right. He is doing a heck of a good job. Go, Brownie!”
* The American people would be clamoring for the billing departments of private companies to match the professionalism, customer service, and competence of the IRS.
* The massive government regulation that was already in place would have prevented the housing crisis that led to the latest recession that affects America — instead of creating it by demanding that housing loans be given to poor risks.
* A trip to the DMV would be no more of a hassle than stopping by Wal-Mart to pick up some laundry detergent.
* The Soviet Union would have won the Cold War.
* Members of Congress would actually read and understand the bills they sign into law instead of saying things like,
What good is reading the (health care) bill if it’s a thousand pages and you don’t have two days and two lawyers to find out what it means after you read the bill? — John Conyers (D-MI)
* Prominent supporters of big government like Tim Geithner, Charles Rangel, Tom Daschle, and Al Franken wouldn’t have been caught cheating on the taxes required to pay for the huge government programs they advocate.
* It would be as easy to fill out your taxes as it is to apply for a credit card.
* Amtrak would be a cash cow instead of a 40 billion dollar money pit that has never recorded a profit.
* The government wouldn’t have just decided that sending a manned mission to the moon, something we last did way back in 1972, now and for the foreseeable future is going to be beyond our capabilities.
* Instead of trying to figure out what to do about our massive debt, Americans would be debating whether we want to cut taxes or save all the extra tax dollars we raise in a rainy day fund.
* Government mandated price controls would work and therefore, we wouldn’t have had gas lines during the seventies, California wouldn’t have had blackouts, and rent control in New York would be producing some of the nation’s cheapest housing.
* Having to deal with a government bureaucrat would produce a feeling of cheerful confidence that things are about to start looking up instead of a sense of dread that your afternoon is about to be wasted without getting your problem solved.
* Private schools wouldn’t exist because they simply couldn’t match the quality education provided by our public schools.
* Rich people would be pulling strings to get into public housing.
* After spending 10 trillion dollars plus fighting the war on poverty, the government would have already won and American society would consist almost entirely of the middle class and the rich.
Over the last few months most conservatives have quite naturally been distracted by Barack Obama’s frightening incompetence, his elephantine spending,
20) Sharron Angle (Lost): The Wave (Controversial illegal immigration ad) 19) Joe Manchin (Won) Dead Aim: (Manchin literally shoots a