The 20 Most Annoying Liberals of 2010
Honorable Mentions: Al Franken, Al Gore, Al Sharpton, Anthony Weiner, Arianna Huffington, Bill Clinton, Bill Maher, Bob Beckel, Charles Rangel, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Dylan Ratigan, Eric Holder, Ezra Klein, Geraldo, Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean, James Cameron, James Clyburn, John Edwards, Jesse Jackson, Jimmy Carter, John Conyers, John Kerry, John Lewis, Kathy Griffin, Lawrence O’Donnell, Markos Moulitsas ZÃºÃ±iga, Matthew Ygliesias, Maxine Waters, Michael Moore, Mike Malloy, Rachel Maddow, Roger Ebert, Roseanne Barr
20) Joe Biden: Everybody knows how goofy Ol’ Say Anything, Do Anything Joe is! He might tell a dirty joke to a roomful of school children! He might stick a squirrel down his pants! Oh, by the way: He’s Vice-President and he’s supposed to be the “gravitas” who helps keep President Empty Suit from getting too far out of whack. Yeah, that worked out great, didn’t it?
Defining quote: As you probably know, some American politicians and American journalists refer to Washington, DC as the “capital of the free world. But it seems to me that this great city (Brussels), which boasts 1,000 years of history and which serves as the capital of Belgium, the home of the European Union, and the headquarters for NATO, this city has its own legitimate claim to that title. — Joe Biden
19) Andrew Sullivan: Sully’s still a good writer, but he’s becoming an increasingly unhinged joke. Over time, he’s become less of a “serious person” and more of a jokey “I hope he gets the help he needs” wackadoodle — particularly, when it comes to Sarah Palin.
Defining quote: The medical term for Down Syndrome is Trisomy-21 or Trisomy-g. It is often shortened in medical slang to Tri-g. Is it not perfectly possible that the very name given to this poor child, being reared by Bristol, is another form of mockery of his condition, along with the “retarded baby” tag? And does the way in which this poor child was hauled around the country on a book tour, being dragged out in front of flash photographs in the middle of the night, barely clothed, suggest someone who actually cares for children with special needs, or rather sees them as a way to keep the spotlight on her? — Andrew Sullivan
18) Michael Bloomberg: New York’s chief nanny spent $100 million of his own money so he could continue to systematically ruin the greatest city in the world with his mismanagement a little longer. Whether it’s trampling on the graves of the people who died on 9/11 by supporting the Ground Zero Mosque, micromanaging what everyone eats, or driving the wealthy out of the city with exorbitant taxes, Bloomberg will do whatever it takes to run New York right into the ground.
Defining quote: If I had to guess 25 cents, this would be exactly that. Homegrown, or maybe a mentally deranged person, or somebody with a political agenda that doesn’t like the health care bill or something. It could be anything. — Michael Bloomberg on Faisal Shahzad’s carbombing attempt in New York
17) Charles Johnson: Know what irony is? It’s a guy who used to run the premier anti-radical Islam blog on the internet going so far in the other direction that he’s supporting the Ground Zero Mosque. If you take bubbling anger and broken dreams, then add betrayal and a ponytail, you have Charles Johnson.
Defining quote: It’s one thing to evolve in your thinking. It’s another thing to become the reviled enemy of that which defines you. His sole purpose is to destroy people. I can’t relate to it. I don’t understand it. We can all sit here and scratch our heads and say, “Is he an operative? Is he being paid or what happened?” Who cares? He’s a destructive force.
…He adds nothing to the dialogue. He adds nothing to the discourse. He seeks solely to destroy the most effective voices on the Right. So to me, he’s lower than even a Kos and I don’t think the left trusts him either because he’s such a traitor. To say that he’s abandoned his principles is actually giving him too much credit. He now reviles the thing that he once was. You explain it. — Pamela Geller
16) Joy Behar: Behar’s an extremely nasty person, which she tries to excuse by claiming she’s a “comedian.” You have to put that word in quotes because she’s not actually funny and you wouldn’t know she is a comedian unless someone told you.
Defining quote: Those flowers were picked by illegal immigrants. And they’re not voting for you, b*tch. — Joy Behar on Sharron Angle
15) Arnold Schwarzenegger: Is it unfair to put “ah-nold” on here? After all, he spoke at the 2004 Republican Convention and when he started as governor of California, he definitely tried some moderate and conservative ideas. But, after Schwarzenegger’s ideas were “terminated” by the voters at a 2005 special election, he moved so far to the Left he was indistinguishable from the man he replaced. Now, people are horrified that he’s been replaced by Jerry Brown. Well, at this point: what’s the difference?
Defining Quote: In fiscal matters Arnold Schwarzenegger has governed more like a Keynesian than a Friedmanite; in regulatory affairs, he governs more like a German socialist than an Austrianschool liberal. Today he is as much of an albatross for California Republicans as George W. Bush was on the national scene. — Steven Hayward
14) Chris Matthews: Chris Matthews has a television show despite terrible ratings and the fact that almost everyone hates him. I’m not sure whether a deal with the devil, blackmail, or God help us all, sexual favors for MSNBC executives best explains how someone like Matthews can stay on the air.
Defining Quote: I was trying to think about who (Obama) was tonight. It’s interesting: he is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. — Chris Matthews
13) Meghan McCain: She’s the single dumbest person writing political commentary in America today. Hearing Meghan McCain talk makes you wish she’d found a more productive way to trade on her daddy’s money and name — like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian.
Defining Quote: See, Meghan McCain wants to be looked up to and admired as a leader. She even claims to be continuing her “one woman revolution (if you will).” …She can’t seem to fathom that she has no leadership qualities whatsoever, nor any original thoughts of her own, so she instead invents a persecution complex in order to explain why she isn’t Sarah Palin. She explains it thusly: she’s too “edgy.” Meanwhile, her edginess is about as edgy as a spoon. She’s blonde! And has tattoos! And a gay friend! Granted, he’s her hairdresser, but still. Shut up, H8Rs! No one is shutting Meghan McCain out; she is choosing to nail herself to a cross. — Lori Ziganto
12) Ed Schultz: If you’ve never heard of Ed Schlultz, it’s perfectly understandable. After all, he’s a liberal radio host with a show on MSNBC, which is about as close as it gets to being invisible in America. As befits someone who works on MSNBC, Schultz is a complete jackass with an elevated sense of importance who says bizarre things on a semi-regular basis while he drives down the IQ of his audience with his rants.
Defining Quote: Dick Cheney’s heart’s a political football. We ought to rip it out and kick it around and stuff it back in him. — Ed Schultz
11) Keith Olbermann: Never has someone so utterly ineffective been so smug about it. He’s like a pretentious eleven year old who craps his pants while he gives overwrought lectures to the other kids in class on the importance of toilet training.
Defining Quote: In short, in Scott Brown we have an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against woman and against politicians with whom he disagrees. In any other time in our history, this man would have been laughed off the stage as an unqualified and a disaster in the making by the most conservative of conservatives. Instead, the commonwealth of Massachusetts is close to sending this bad joke to the Senate of the United States. — Keith Olbermann
10) Paul Krugman: You could replace every column he wrote in the last year with the words “I blame the Republicans” and “We need to go a lot further into debt” and you wouldn’t miss a thing.
Defining Quote: In the end, I’d argue, what must happen is an effective default on a significant part of debt, one way or another. The default could be implicit, via a period of moderate inflation that reduces the real burden of debt; that’s how World War II cured the depression. — Paul Krugman
9) Janet Napolitano: She’s picked up the nickname “Big Sis,” but given her performance, “Sergeant Schultz” might be more appropriate. Whether you’re an illegal alien crossing the border into Arizona or a terrorist trying to get on a plane, she knows nothing, nothing!
Defining Quote: What I say to the American people is that… thousands of people are working 24/7, 364 days a year to keep the American people safe. — Janet Napolitano
8) Helen Thomas: The grizzled, old liberal anti-Semite finally got too nasty about “ze Jews” and is no longer allowed to waste space at the White House press gaggle. It couldn’t have happened to a nicer bridge troll.
Defining Quote: We are owned by propagandists against the Arabs. There’s no question about that. Congress, the White House, and Hollywood, Wall Street, are owned by the Zionists. No question in my opinion. They put their money where their mouth is…We’re being pushed into a wrong direction in every way. — Helen Thomas
7) Alan Grayson: It’s hard to believe this guy was ever a congressman. Grayson’s an extraordinarily surly-tempered cretin with no redeeming values whatsoever beyond the fact that he’s rich. He’s like the bad guy in half the movies that were made in the last decade. Of course, he did get crushed at the polls; so that’s proof that Democrats can get their just desserts in non-liberal districts.
Defining Quote: How about just tracking down every single person who said drill baby drill and putting them all in prison. Why don’t we do that? Starting with Michael Steele. — Alan Grayson
6) Harry Reid: He played Robin to Nancy Pelosi’s Batman in shoving Obama’s hated and damaging agenda through. As he did so, Reid managed to be unfailingly nasty, hyperpartisan, and showed a complete lack of concern about doing what is good for the country.
Defining Quote: I don’t know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican. — Harry Reid
5) Barney Frank: He’s extraordinarily obnoxious, utterly sleazy, and unfailingly incompetent. He’s also one of the people who bears the most personal responsibility for the housing crash that helped create the current economic woes we have. Yet, he gets elected over and over. No wonder the Democrats think Americans are stupid. If you knew you could perform as poorly as Barney Frank and get re-elected, you’d probably think Americans are stupid, too.
Defining Quote: Massachusetts Congressman Barney Frank caused a scene when he demanded a $1 senior discount on his ferry fare to Fire Island’s popular gay haunt, The Pines, last Friday. Frank was turned down by ticket clerks at the dock in Sayville because he didn’t have the required Suffolk County Senior Citizens ID. A witness reports, “Frank made such a drama over the senior rate that I contemplated offering him the dollar to cool down the situation.” — New York Post
4) John Pistole: Fascism has come to America and it’s called the TSA. Now, as a condition of travel, you either have to be viewed naked by government goons or you have to let them sexually molest you. Their excuse? They’re just following orders. Whose orders? John Pistole’s orders.
Defining Quote: If you touch my junk, I’m going to have you arrested. — John Tyner
3) Feisal Abdul Rauf: It’s bad enough that this creep insists on trying to build a celebratory mosque at Ground Zero, but the fact that he’s applying for government funds to do it and keeps claiming it’s about “building bridges” makes him absolutely intolerable.
Defining Quote: Such was the violence on 9-11 that my brother’s remains were never found. He was killed by Islamists and now they want to build a mosque on his grave. Their victory will be complete. — Christina Regenhard
2) Nancy Pelosi: The plastic autocrat ran the House during one of the most irresponsible times in American history. Happily for Republicans, despite the fact that she’s about as popular as cholera, the Democrats kept her as leader.
Defining Quote: Bipartisanship is a two-way street. A bill can be bipartisan without bipartisan votes. Republicans have left their imprint. — Nancy Pelosi
1) Barack Obama: Never has such arrogance been combined with such utter incompetence and weakness in the White House. The result? We have the single worst President in American history and his first term’s not even over yet.
Defining Quote: If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, “We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,” if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2. — Barack Obama
There may be no official rule book for being a liberal, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t rules. There are
Repeating the words “scientific consensus” over and over and telling sad stories about polar bears does not qualify as “science.”