What Will The Democrat Congress Do In 2009?
Everyone is asking “WWBD?” as of late. What Will Barry Do? is obviously of importance, considering all the hopiness and changiness that Barry promised to the weak minded dupes who never thought to inquire why they were serving on something called a “Death Star.” Patterico solicited ideas on this the other day, and there were some pretty good answers.
Some policy decisions are pretty simple
- He will appoint massively far left Progressive judges whose ideas on abortion on demand match his
- He will reinstitute the Fairness Doctrine through the FCC, thereby avoiding a rather simplistic lawsuit based on the 1st Amendment (Congress shall pass no law). I have read that some recommend using the 9th and 10th if this occurs
- He will increase the redeployment of troops from Iraq ahead of what is safe
- He’ll send a token force of maybe a couple thousand troops to Afghanistan
- He won’t get involved in Iran, because the EU nations who have been negotiating will tell him to piss off
- He’ll get his basketball court installed
Other then that, I do not expect him to actually get much of his legislation passed. I doubt much of it will even make it to committee. The Nancy Pelosi/Harry Reid led Congress has their own agenda, and if happens to coincide with President Obama’s, so be it. But, do not expect much legislation to get actually passed. This is a legislative body which couldn’t even pass a resolutionexpressing sympathy for the residents of Greensburg, Ks, after the massive tornado, nor one expressing support of the goals and ideals of Mother’s Day, without first sending simplistic legislation like that to committee. It took them months to pass the Greensburg resolution. The Mother’s Day one never did. So, what do they do in 2009?
- A total repeal of the 2001/2003 tax cuts. The bill that does this will expand the number of people in the lower classes who do not pay any income tax. Barry is forced to sign. This will happen by mid February
- Repeal of tax breaks on energy companies, particularly oil companies. By mid February.
- Backdoor legislation increasing corporate taxes
- more bailouts as Democrat policies damage the economy even more
- Passing the card check legislation for unions
- Re-instituting the ban on offshore drilling. Mid February
- They’ll get around to nationalized health care and/or insurance by summer, but, will not do anything till near the winter holidays, when people aren’t watching
- massively reducing appropriations for Iraq, Afghanistan, intelligence agencies, and measures for the international portion of the war on terrorism. By June
- Passing legislation allowing the telecoms to be sued over the “domestic wiretapping”
- Papercut legislation on handguns will start, then they will wait for a major incident to occur before passing sweeping legislation that restricts all guns
- Climate change legislation
- They’ll throw a sop to Obama in the form of passing his Global Poverty Act, but, will fail to fund it, and perhaps pass his $500/$1,000 tax rebate-welfare check idea
- Investigation after investigation into the Bush admin
- Legislation closing G’itmo and ending the military trials
As far as it goes, I believe the Congress will have about as cozy a relationship with Obama as they did with Bush. They will do what they want to do, not what Obama wants them to do. He may want to appear centrist during his first year, but, what he will look like will be a dupe of Congress. They will be passing legislation that he really wants, but didn’t want to go for so quick.
What do you think will happen?
Crossed at Pirate’s Cove