The Democratic Underground Post Of The Day: We Too Must Become Nazis
I always love to see what the Democratic base is up to — don’t you? That’s why I enjoy heading over to the Democratic Underground to see what the lefties are talking about. Well, today some of the folks at the DU are taking page out of John Kerry supporter Moby’s book and planning out some dirty tricks for the 2004 election….
ReadTomPaine: As we’ve heard again and again recently, if we are going to beat this bunch of rule breaking GOP misanthropes, we’re going to have to start fighting as dirty as they do. I started this thread for one reason, to get everyone’s ideas on a list of things we as Democrats can consider to stop the takeover of this country. This isn’t going to be a thread for the squeamish, or for the ideologically pure. Best to steer clear if that describes you.
Here are half a dozen ideas to get the ball rolling.
1) Get Republicans fired at your workplace, or fire them yourself if you can – In the belief that all activism starts with the grass roots, do us all a favor, and fire your Republican employees this week. There are legitimate reasons to fire virtually any employee, so avail yourself of them. Not only will it quit the gloating you’re hearing around the office, it’ll stop those donation checks they are getting ready to write. Might also teach them a bit of humility regarding the poor and the disadvantaged. They can be the “Pioneers” of “Unemployment Window A”
2) Pretend to be a Republican, and then cut down the next Republican that you have a conversation with. – The more public/crowed the place you do this, the better. Use whatever remarks you know are sure to make the intended impression. “You’re no better than the liberal scum you claim to hate… get back into the kitchen… Just wait till we win next year and toss peons like you into the field or the workhouse… People in your income bracket don’t have the right to be Republican or vote etc.” If you need talking points, just observe in a Yahoo political chat room for a few minutes and you have all the right wing bile that you can use and quite possibly all that you can stand.
3) Create, plant and disseminate widely “news stories” that discredit GOP policies – A good way to do this is to print out stories in the visual style of a major newspaper or magazine (don’t use the logo or other copywrited material, however) and theme them similarly to the ones that targeted John McCain’s platform last presidential election. Make sure not to slander individuals directly. Leave stacks of the printouts where people are certain to find them – i.e. supermarkets, coffee houses, bars, community centers etc. As in #2 make sure to write these from the right wing perspective, for maximum effect on the target audience. Avoid digital media, as it’s too easy to fact check, not that most GOP voters care to check these things anyway.
4) Contact the IRS and anonymously tip them off regarding prominent GOP contributors in your area. – Lets face it, they are likely tax evaders in any case (that’s why they are GOP), so might as well have them go thru an audit and feel a bit of what it’s like to have a hostile government prying into their affairs. The tax money you shake free will be a little payback to your community for the egregious tax cut they undoubtedly are enjoying.
5) Make sure that you’re the only ride on voting day for a group of hard right types who live out of the way, and then don’t show up. – This works best in low population density areas and poor right wing communities. Cultivate a group of right wing friends and make sure they depend on you for the ride on Election Day. Then don’t show up. Every vote they miss is an uncontested vote on the blue side of the aisle. The right needs a taste of Florida 2000.
6) Impersonate Linda Tripp. – Whisper into the ear of GOP associates to encourage and get dirty laundry regarding their improprieties, and then make sure that information gets into the wrong hands. It’s hard to brag about family values or think about politics when you’re in a divorce court.
Are you really serious about winning the culture war? Do you mean it when you say it’s time to fight fire with fire? Then channel that anger and let’s hear some ideas. Given the thin skin of most conservative ideologues, it won’t take much to have them running far away from such policies and tactics so we can all enjoy proper, principled political discourse in the country again. First, however, they need to be taught that fighting dirty burns them as much as it burns anyone.
BTW- if you want to take action beyond the intellectual consideration of these ideas, please do so on your own. This thread is meant for the mental exercise of these ideas. Don’t involve DU.
T Wolf: you just know you are going to get flamed for this by the “we don’t do that” crowd. But, you have to break a few eggs…
In a perfect (or even something a little further from hell) world, reasoned debates would produce informed decisions by the electorate. But we live in Amerika, where cash is god and reason be [email protected]
So, I heartily endorse the “by any means necessary” approach because it is the only way we have any chance against the repukes.
To paraphrase Barry Goldwater, street-fighting in defense of Democracy is not a crime.
Book Lover Interesting that no one has flamed this thread yet…
I thought folks would really get angry at these suggestions, but when I started scrolling down, I didn’t find that at all.
lovedems: I am particulary fond of #4.
Maybe we could land a few in prison! Let the frog walks begin.
liberalnproud: I like it alot!!
I’m tired of being honest and truthful. Get’s you absolutely nowhere. Good guys do not always win, they hardly ever win. Truth does not always prevail, in fact in hardly ever does. Justice is never served! I’M MAD AS HELL!!!! I AM NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!
calimary: Those are good tactics if you’re somehow involved in party machinery
so you can get phone numbers to use.
There’s other street stuff, too. Wherever you see a pro-bush or one of those simpering “America Love Her or Leave Her” stickers, THAT’S the place to plaster a “STOP BUSH” or “Impeach Bush/Cheney” or “Bush Knew” or “Bush Cheated” or “Friends Don’t Let Friends Vote Republican.” (Although, that one’s a little long. For the sake of all the drive-by traffic, shorter and sweeter is better.)
OR: For us females – and especially for those of you/us who do have access to phone numbers – if I knew a rethug with big bucks and power within the local party, I’d call his house and ask for him in my smokiest, sexiest voice. When the wife answered, I’d get a little evasive and then hang up. Yeah, I know. Icky.
I know some of this is sh*tty. But that’s the way THEY want to play it. And that’s the game as THEY have already defined it. All we’re doing is leveling the playing field. The only way to beat a bully is to bully them back. Confront them. Give them a dose of their own medicine. That’s all they understand. One poster here once lambasted me for lying and deceit when I did the “stealth rethug” game on Orrin Hatch’s office. My response: you have to speak to them in a language they’ll understand.
If they can embrace Machiavelli, so should we. It’s about time that strategy was put to work on behalf of the GOOD GUYS for a change. Do we want to keep fighting pit bulls with guinea pigs?
MCVet: The Republicans are Nazis….In order to defeat them, we too must become Nazis.
tedoll78: I used to be an “I-won’t-do-that” person, but now I want to win and prevent the major harm that the GOP would do. In the end, having more liberal leaders in power will save the country and world from more heartache/chaos/destruction/etc; the change for the positive worldwide will more than pay-back for these tactics.
Like someone above said, let’s break some eggs.
My starting proposals:
1) Hand-out faulty polling locations & directions in GOP-heavy voting districs. Let’s see how they like it for a change.
2) Go door to door as a GOP volunteer with absentee ballots; the GOP loves to vote absentee, right? And then throw the filled-out ballots away. Either that, or give them a faulty ballot with a bad address on the envelope, and then they won’t vote on election day since they’d think they’ve already voted.
3) Volunteer for a GOP phone bank operation and talk dirty to old people on the phone. Think of the most obscene, anus-licking things you can comprehend, and go for it! And be sure to identify yourself as a Bush supporter.
4) Wear an ‘I love george w bush’ t-shirt in public and act like a major ass. Moon people, fart loudly, call people offensive names. Here’s a favorite: Go to football games where the Army is playing and accuse the other team’s fans of being unpatriotic for rooting against the Army. In other words, be absurd!
5) When a polling organization calls, give answers such that they reflect very very very poorly on the nation’s condition. Tell them you’re unemployed, or tell them that you make <$8000 a year.
6) Panhandle in GOP/swing neighborhoods where it isn’t illegal. Get as many people as you can to join you; create the image of crisis. Hold-up a sign saying that you were downsized, or that your job was sent overseas. If you’re a veteran, empahsize your loss of benefits.
7) Drop-off a stack of fliers at veterans’ halls, hospitals, etc detailing the betrayal of the Bush administration. And, if possible, ask them if they’re enjoying their tax cuts.
I just thought of these seven off the top of my head. Surely we can come-up with some creative strategies for making the GOP’s image as irrespectable as possible!
Hat tip to Henry Hanks from Croooow Blog for pointing this thread out to me.
***Update #1***: This thread is actually from Oct of 2003, not from “today” as I suggested earlier. Somehow or another, I missed the dates on this one when I went through it the first time…