by John Hawkins | September 16, 2019 1:55 pm
Liberals have fallen in love with the idea of censoring people they disagree with via shouting them down, political correctness, violently attacking them in the streets, or denying them a platform to speak. This is profoundly unhealthy, un-American, and bad for the country. Conservatives seem to understand this, but liberals have lost sight of this principle that helped make America such a great country. We may never change the minds of liberals in power who use censorship because they’re incapable of defending their ideas, but we may be able to reach younger Americans and teach them lessons about freedom of speech and censorship that they’re not going to hear from their liberal teachers.
1) “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.” – Ben Franklin
2) “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” – S.G. Tallentyre, The Friends of Voltaire
3) “I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool, the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking. It cannot be so easily discovered if you allow him to remain silent and look wise, but if you let him speak, the secret is out and the world knows that he is a fool. So it is by the exposure of folly that it is defeated; not by the seclusion of folly, and in this free air of free speech men get into that sort of communication with one another which constitutes the basis of all common achievement.” – Woodrow Wilson
4) “When truth is replaced by silence, the silence is a lie.” – Yevgeny Yevtushenko
5) “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.” – Salman Rushdie
You can read the rest at BizPac Review.
Source URL: https://rightwingnews.com/column-2/20-quotes-about-free-speech-and-censorship-that-liberals-need-to-read/
Copyright ©2019 John Hawkins' Right Wing News unless otherwise noted.