Video: 1969–The Death of Modernism
by Ed Driscoll | June 11, 2010 5:33 am
In 1973, Patrick Moynihan said, “Most liberals had ended the 1960s rather ashamed of the beliefs they had held at the beginning of the decade.”
The 1960s began with a presidential election between conservative cold warrior Richard Nixon…and the surprisingly conservative cold warrior John F. Kennedy. In terms of the similarity between the two candidates, and the public they represented, this was a high point in national unity.
The assassination of JFK began a process that ultimately shattered that unity. During the course of the 1960s, Americans witnessed the split between the liberalism of FDR, Harry Truman, JFK and LBJ, and the rise of the punitive New Left that emerged in the wake of President Kennedy’s assassination.
As we explore in the latest edition of Silicon Graffiti, the alpha and the omega of those two forms of American liberalism came less than a month apart, in the summer of 1969:
Tune in for our take on:
- How Jackie Kennedy retroactively created Camelot, and the death of the New Frontier.
- We’ll look back at the “Helvetica World,” both in real life and at the movies.
- The end of New Deal-era optimism.
- The death of modern architecture, and the mansard-roofed canary in McDonald’s coalmine.
- The Malthusian doomsday pessimism that was a hallmark of Hollywood science fiction after 1969.
- The song remains the same.
- What does it all mean? Watch to find out!
And for almost 60 previous editions of Silicon Graffiti, or to watch a larger version of the above video, visit this section of Ed Driscoll.com and just keep scrolling.
- said: http://www.eddriscoll.com/archives/009102.php
- punitive New Left: http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/245kubju.asp
- retroactively created Camelot: http://www.commentarymagazine.com/viewarticle.cfm/lee-harvey-oswald-and-the-liberal-crack-up-10065?page=1
- real life: http://pajamasmedia.com/eddriscoll/2010/05/09/liberal-fascism-the-font/
- at the movies: http://books.google.com/books?id=AdyNbhlu2MsC&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=Helvetica+Kolker&source=bl&ots=Mb1Z3HghAG&sig=sa_o7nSHJZpgK5V1p9D_AaSlAp4&hl=en&ei=QOQOTJbxOJH-NbuEoPQM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
- end of New Deal-era optimism: http://www.ideasinactiontv.com/tcs_daily/2007/07/trapped-in-camelot.html
- death of modern architecture: http://eddriscoll.com/archives/008350.php
- Malthusian: http://reason.com/archives/2004/07/28/make-mine-malthus
- Hollywood science fiction: http://eddriscoll.com/archives/005689.php
- song remains: http://www.dynamist.com/weblog/archives/000028.html
- same: http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2010/05/22/jet-setting-dave-matthews-wants-you-to-walk-to-work/
- Ed Driscoll.com: http://pajamasmedia.com/eddriscoll/category/ed-tv/
Source URL: https://rightwingnews.com/democrats/video-1969%e2%80%94the-death-of-modernism/
Copyright ©2021 John Hawkins' Right Wing News unless otherwise noted.