by John Hawkins | August 29, 2012 9:48 am
After a long, wonkish, inside baseball fight over who selects delegates that came as a reaction to the way the Ron Paul people had gamed the system, an inept Republican establishment that sees grassroots activists as disposable widgets put together an unhappy compromise that created all sorts of acrimony with the delegates. This was a sideshow before the event really kicked off.
Unfortunately, so was Mia Love’s speech, which got rave reviews, but wasn’t scheduled for prime time.
Mia Love could have been used, too, because the first hour of the convention wasn’t very good. Most of the speakers were dull and spent entirely too much time talking about themselves and not enough time pushing Romney or hitting Obama. Although nobody could blame anyone who was getting a little worried after that lame first hour (Bob McDonnell was the only better than average speaker), the convention kicked into high gear after that. The final two hours were really good.
Here were the best speakers in order.
5) Scott Walker: The crowd LOVED him.
4) Rick Santorum: Was doing “best speech of the night” well until he spent an inordinate amount of time talking about the “strong grip” of the handshake of freedom, which was lame.
3) Chris Christie: Good, but most people expected more from him. Maybe he suffered from having inordinately high expectations for his speech.
2) Artur Davis: He was an excellent speaker and drove a dagger deep in the heart of the Democrat Party.
1) Ann Romney: The only way Ann Romney’s speech could have been purer chick crack would have been if there were sparkly vampires slowly dancing in the background. She did a great job of appealing to women and building up her husband.
All in all, it was a good night and it probably helped, but many of the speakers spent too much time talking about themselves and not enough time building up Romney or tearing down Obama. A little more laser-like focus would probably help.
Now, here are the five best quotes of the night.
Source URL: https://rightwingnews.com/elections-polls/a-brief-republican-national-convention-review-tuesday-featuring-the-five-best-quotes-in-pics/
Copyright ©2022 John Hawkins' Right Wing News unless otherwise noted.