by Sierra Marlee | October 25, 2015 1:35 pm
A poorly assembled vape ordered from China put a man in the hospital in the UK after it was discovered to have melted a hole in his lung.
From Conservative Tribune:
Vaping is supposed to be a healthier alternative to smoking. And while it generally is, it definitely wasn’t that for one man in the United Kingdom, who had a hole melted in his lung by a poorly-assembled vape made in China.
According to The U.K. Sun, Surrey resident Richard Courtney had smoked for a decade and a half when he purchased the £100 (roughly $150) vaporizer, which is supposed to turn a liquid nicotine mixture into vapor.
“I started vaping to try to give up after 16 years of smoking,” Courtney said. “I can’t believe it put me in hospital.”
Courtney was walking home from a friends house when he tasted a strange fluid in his mouth. All of a sudden, he started coughing uncontrollably.
“Then it felt like I’d got a trapped nerve in my shoulder,” Courtney said. “In the morning I had a really tight chest and couldn’t breathe properly. I went to hospital. One of the nurses there put my vape on an oxygen tube and showed that it was spitting liquid out.”
Because the hot liquid wasn’t vaporizing but instead leaking down into his lungs, a perforation had opened up as the heated fluid burned away his flesh. He was told he only had 25 percent function in his right lung. The father of three young children had to be hooked up to a ventilator.
Nevertheless, he was only kept overnight at the Acute Medical Unit of East Surrey Hospital and discharged with an inhaler. (I’m sorry, what was that about the efficacy of socialized medicine again, Mr. Sanders?)
Five days later, his chest tightened up again, putting him back into the hospital. Courtney finally returned to his job on Monday. Believe it or not, the incident still hasn’t scared him off nicotine.
“I want to give up completely but at the moment I’m just having the odd roll-up,” Courtney said, employing British slang for a cigarette. “I’m such an addict I can’t just go cold turkey even after what happened.”
KangerTech, the maker of the e-cigarette, did not respond to press inquiries. Surprise, surprise.
So, let this be a lesson to all prospective vapers — don’t scrimp when it comes to the machinery. A new lung is always going to be way more expensive than whatever you save.
Do you think vaping is a good alternative to smoking? Let us know in the comments!
Source URL: https://rightwingnews.com/human-interest/man-horrified-to-learn-this-healthy-habit-melted-a-hole-in-his-lung/
Copyright ©2021 John Hawkins' Right Wing News unless otherwise noted.