by Terresa Monroe-Hamilton | October 14, 2014 9:10 am
David Aspinall decided to do the health-conscious thing and switch to e-cigarettes… something he soon came to regret. Evidently it overheated and blew up – pelting his limbs with metal. He has a huge hole in one leg and a gash in the other. He also spent nine days in the hospital and will have to have multiple skin grafts. Aspinall suffered from injuries that resemble being shot and by all accounts is lucky to be alive.
From the Daily Mail:
He claims that medics likened his injuries to bullet wounds – and says he is lucky to be alive.
Mr Aspinall, who may need three years of skin grafts to recover, told The Sun: ‘It glowed and burned in my hand. I dropped it and it exploded.
‘There was lots of blood, a huge hole in one leg and a gash in the other.’
‘It could have blown my head off,’ he added. ‘The surgeon said it was like someone had used a gun.’
Despite his terrible injuries, he managed to stagger to a neighbour, who described the scene as similar to a horror film.
As well as his leg, metal from the exploding e-cigarette had embedded itself in much of Mr Aspinall’s furniture.
Having switched to e-cigarettes for health reasons, he has now reverted to regular tobacco, branding it ‘safer’.
He claims the shop that sold him the e-cigarette blamed faulty batteries.
The incident come after a 62-year-old man in Merseyside died in August, in what was thought to be Britain’s first death from an exploding e-cigarette.
But Aspinall was also at fault here in part… the e-cigarette was charging in his bedroom when it exploded next to an oxygen concentrator. Uh, that’s a no-no. And he was using a third-party charger that did not originally come with the device. The retailer is blaming the batteries. I’m blaming all of them. Let the lawsuits begin!
Source URL: https://rightwingnews.com/misc/smoker-says-accident-nearly-blew-legs-e-cigarette-explodes-like-grenade/
Copyright ©2021 John Hawkins' Right Wing News unless otherwise noted.