by John Hawkins | November 21, 2002 2:16 pm
Gun Control Doesn’t Work: RWN reader Harley W. Daugherty sent me a link to a page called Handgun Free America. And yes, as their name suggests, their goal is to ban all handguns in America.
Well let’s take a look at places in America where handguns have for all intents and purposes have been banned and see how that worked out. Here are some facts from the National Center for Policy Analysis…
“- New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as “the most stringent gun law” in the nation in 1966; two years later, the murder rate was up 46 percent and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled.
– In 1968, Hawaii imposed a series of increasingly harsh measures and its murder rate, then a low 2.4 per 100,000 per year, tripled to 7.2 by 1977.
– In 1976, Washington, D.C., enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city’s murder rate has risen 134 percent while the national murder rate has dropped 2 percent.
– After Evanston, Ill., a Chicago suburb of 75,000 residents, became the largest town to ban handgun ownership in September 1982, it experienced no decline in violent crime.
– Among the 15 states with the highest homicide rates, 10 have restrictive or very restrictive gun laws.
– 20 percent of U.S. homicides occur in four cities with just 6 percent of the population – New York, Chicago, Detroit and Washington, D.C. – and each has a virtual prohibition on private handguns.
– New York has one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation – and 20 percent of the armed robberies. Even more troublesome is the fact that the places where gun control laws are toughest tend to be the places where the most crime is committed with illegal weapons
– After Canada passed a gun control law in 1977, the murder rate failed to decline but armed robbery and burglary, crimes frequently deterred by gun ownership, increased.
– Violent crime accelerated in Taiwan and Jamaica after handguns were banned.”
Wow, gun control really has a sterling record doesn’t it? Maybe Handgun Free America could craft a slogan based on that? Something like, “Gun Control — making YOU a victim!” or “Ban Handguns — save the criminals!”
Source URL: https://rightwingnews.com/top-news/gun-control-doesnt-work/
Copyright ©2021 John Hawkins' Right Wing News unless otherwise noted.