VIDEO: Pregnant Mom Made A Dangerously Common Mistake When Her Son Was Bit By a Snake

VIDEO: Pregnant Mom Made A Dangerously Common Mistake When Her Son Was Bit By a Snake

A common misconception is that when someone has been bitten by a venomous snake, the proper response is the suck the poison out through the puncture wounds. One pregnant mother did this very thing when her son was bitten, putting her and her unborn child in danger.


From LiftBump:

On a sunny California day, 9 months pregnant Jaclyn Caramazza and her four-year-old son Vinny decided to go for a walk on Humbug Creek Trail to get outside.

Trending: The 15 Best Conservative News Sites On The Internet

According to KTXL-TV, Vinny skipped a few paces in front of his mom, and didn’t notice what was underfoot:

“It wasn’t dog poop,” said Vinny.

No. It was a coiled up, baby rattlesnake which was sunning itself on the concrete path.

Vinny stepped on the snake by accident, and it bit him towards the bottom of his right heel. Jaclyn saw the snake spring up and strike out of the corner of her eye. That’s when her mom instincts kicked in:

“Mama bear instinct in me decided to suck the venom because that’s what Bonanza does.”

Jaclyn sucked the venom out of Vinny’s foot three times. Luckily the snake’s venom didn’t affect her or her unborn son.

However, experts advise against Jaclyn’s approach, saying that poisonous snake bites should be treated like any other wound: Clean it with soap and water, and then get to a hospital as soon as possible where they can administer anti-venom.

Watch the video below:

I’m glad the young boy, his mother and the unborn baby are all okay. Snake bites are a scary thing, so it’s always good to know what actions you can take to keep everyone involved safe.

Share this!

Enjoy reading? Share it with your friends!