by John Hawkins | September 2, 2008 10:20 am
Honestly, there wasn’t much to review because they called off all of the big speeches because of Gustav. So, the convention on night one was nothing more than basic business and appeals to charity: in other words, it was dullsville, night one.
Of course, that could be a blessing in disguise since it was Labor Day and a lot of people may have skipped watching for that reason. Now, the GOP has the option of taking their best speakers from night one and using them to strengthen the line-up on nights 2, 3, and 4.
As to the convention itself, my friends who are there have told me that it’s pretty chaotic. The schedule is completely up in the air, a lot of events have been cancelled, and as of last night, some of them seemed confused about what was going on. Hopefully, it’ll smooth out today as the convention gets back to a normal schedule.
***Update #1: Via email, here’s the theme and speaking line-up for tonight,
John McCain’s commitment to his fellow Americans, a commitment forged in service to his country, is one of the defining hallmarks of his life. Tuesday’s events will highlight John McCain’s record of service and sacrifice and reflect his commitment to serving a cause greater than one’s own self-interest.
Speakers will include:
* President George W. Bush (via satellite)
* First Lady Laura Bush
* U.S. Sen. Joe Lieberman (Conn.)
* Former U.S. Sen. Fred Thompson (Tenn.)
* U.S. House Republican Leader John Boehner (Ohio)
* U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman (Minn.)
* U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann (Minn.)
* Robert M. “Mike” Duncan, Chairman of the Republican National Committee
* Jo Ann Davidson, Co-Chairman of the Republican National Committee and Chairman of the 2008 Republican National Convention Committee on Arrangements
Source URL: https://rightwingnews.com/uncategorized/review-of-the-republican-convention-in-prime-time-day-1/
Copyright ©2021 John Hawkins' Right Wing News unless otherwise noted.