Attention, dog owners — feeding your pooch this type of peanut butter can be FATAL

Attention, dog owners — feeding your pooch this type of peanut butter can be FATAL

If you have a dog in your household, there’s a good chance that you’ve given the pooch some peanut butter eventually — either as a treat or to mask the hidden medicine.

But now the FDA is making the call – you might be feeding your dogs poison if you aren’t checking the label for this ingredient.

Cutedog

From Rare:

Trending: The 15 Best Conservative News Sites On The Internet

Xylitol, a sugar substitute, is found in some peanut butters and nut butters, and it can be life-threatening to dogs.

“If you feed your dog pills coated in peanut butter, or put peanut butter in their hollow chew toys, make sure to check the list of ingredients first to make sure it doesn’t contain xylitol,” said Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian at the FDA.

Xylitol is also an ingredient in many sugar-free gums and candies, among other things.

When a dog ingests xylitol, there’s a rapid release of insulin and a decrease in the level of blood sugar, which requires immediate treatment. Veterinarians say it can cause seizures, liver failure and possibly death.

What dogs can and can’t eat is so ridiculous to me. You always hear that if you feed them chocolate – they die. If you feed them fish – they die. If you feed them anything that isn’t dog food, guess what? They die.

Well, I’m happy to announce my old dog ate everything under the sun…he didn’t die! No sirree.

…It was the car that got him in the end. Sheesh…

Share this!

Enjoy reading? Share it with your friends!