The Suspect Who Held His Girlfriend Captive in a Box for Three Months and Then Shot Her Dead After She Escaped is Killed in Police Shootout

The Suspect Who Held His Girlfriend Captive in a Box for Three Months and Then Shot Her Dead After She Escaped is Killed in Police Shootout

Monsters exist in this world — there is no doubt about that. But thanks to law enforcement, there’s one less monster walking this earth, as the man responsible for holding his girlfriend captive for months, before shooting her and her son to death after she escaped, has been killed by police.

james horn

A man accused of holding his former girlfriend captive in a crate at their home in western Missouri then fatally shooting her and her teenage son, was shot and killed on Saturday, authorities said.

Law enforcement officers killed James Barton Horn Jr., 47, at a state wildlife area in western Missouri, south of Knob Noster, Henry County Sheriff Kent Oberkrom said.

Authorities have been searching for Horn since late April when he was charged in the kidnapping of 46-year-old Sandra Kay Sutton.

Prosecutors said Sutton told police that Horn kept her in a wooden crate off-and-on for four months at their home in Sedalia, some 90 miles southeast of Kansas City, Missouri.

Sutton and her 17-year-old son, Zachary Wade Sutton, were found dead on Thursday at a relative’s home in Clinton, about 45 miles from Sedalia, where she had moved after escaping the home she had shared with Horn.

Oberkrom said officers found Horn hiding in a closet in an abandoned building at the J. N. Turkey Kearn Memorial Wildlife Area, about 70 miles southeast of Kansas City. He said officers were led to the area by a tip they received Saturday morning.

When officers told him to surrender, Horn threatened the officers with a handgun, said Sgt. Bill Lowe, spokesman for the Missouri State Highway Patrol. Lowe said it was unclear if Horn fired his weapon.

Lowe said the investigation will focus on matching the weapons Horn had with him with evidence taken from the scene of the Suttons’ murders.

… Police say Horn, a former Marine, locked Sutton inside the box whenever he was leaving the house. The box — 100 inches long, 48 inches wide and 52 inches tall — was kept in a bedroom and contained a bucket full of urine and feces along, with several layers of insulation, padding and sleeping bags, and a small air hole.

Sutton escaped April 30 and ran to the home of a neighbor who called police. Horn was gone by the time police arrived.

It is an awful tragedy that Sutton was killed so soon after she had fought her way to freedom. But at least the community can sleep at night knowing that this pitiful excuse for a man will never be able to victimize anyone like this ever again.

Share this!

Enjoy reading? Share it with your friends!