20-Year-Old Mother ‘Who Decapitated Her Three-Month-Old Baby’ is Found Incompetent to Stand Trial

Evil people can commit unspeakable crimes, but there is also illness that can cause people to do awful things. Deasia Watkins seems to fall into the latter category, as a woman suffering from mental illness when she killed her three-month-old baby, and as such, she has been found incompetent to stand trial.

deasia watkins

A 20-year-old mother accused of decapitating her three-month-old daughter has been found incompetent to stand trial and will be transferred to a treatment facility.

Deasia Watkins faces an aggravated murder charge for the murder of her daughter, Janiyah, in March but was found incompetent to stand trial by a Hamilton County, Ohio judge on Tuesday.

Trending: The 15 Best Conservative News Sites On The Internet

She was ordered to be evaluated and treated at a Cincinnati behavioral facility, and another hearing is set for October to re-evaluate her competency.

… The horrific killing came after Watkins had been forbidden to have contact with the child after she was hospitalized for psychiatric problems.

She was considered a threat and had been ‘acting crazy’ and talking about demons when a juvenile court judge previously placed the baby in the custody of Hamilton County Job and Family Services.

Social workers later placed the baby in the aunt’s care, warning her to keep the mother away from the child unless social workers were present, authorities said.

Prosecutors said the county welfare agency followed court orders in finding a relative to care for the baby and checking on her numerous time, but they said social workers didn’t know the mother apparently moved into the aunt’s home about a week before the slaying.

Authorities haven’t released the name of the aunt, who Deters said may be needed as a witness.

Court documents also show that Watkins was diagnosed with postpartum psychosis, and doctors declared her unsafe around the child unless she took prescribed medication.

After she was taken into custody, she was taken to hospital for evaluation and Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters said that she was not talking to authorities.

‘She’s like a zombie,’ he told WCPO. ‘We’re hoping to get her some medication so she can begin talking. ‘Until she gets in front of some doctors and talks, it’s going to be very difficult to know what her motivation was. No matter what the motivation was, no one is going to be able to explain this.’

Prosecutors have already said they won’t seek the death penalty.

Postpartum psychosis is a very rare, yet very real, diagnosis that should have been taken more seriously by the people in Watkins’ life — and because they didn’t, a little girl is dead. Hopefully, Watkins can get the care she so desperately needs, and will continue to receive that care for a long time. One day, she will wake up and realize what she did to her baby, and she will need a lot of help and support when that day comes.

Share this!

Enjoy reading? Share it with your friends!